Friends in Carmel
Supporting the work of Carmelites in their mission of helping people to develop
intimacy with God and flourish in their spiritual life
The Carmelite Priory
The Carmelite Priory, also known as Chilswell House at Boars Hill, is a home to a small community of Discalced Carmelite friars who live their lives in allegiance to Jesus Christ and a centre of prayer and spiritual renewal. Set in seventeen acres of woodland and surrounded by beautiful hills of Oxfordshire, it is an oasis of peace, stillness, and prayer. For many, its peaceful and green spaces, together with the welcome and friendship have all been instrumental in fostering a deep experience of God, of healing and of wholeness. It is a spiritual home for many.
Welcome to Your Spiritual Home
Why not become part of our worldwide Carmelite Priory family. Together we can continue to
faithfully carry out the work that God has entrusted to us – the important work of prayer and
spiritual renewal. Be part of our future and share our mission by joining Friends-in-Carmel.
• Enable people who have a spiritual connection with the Priory to keep in touch
• Enable people who share an affection for Carmel to support the vision and mission of the Priory
• Enable access to a resource of wisdom, advocacy, as well as potential practical volunteer help.
Whether you have been a retreatant at the Priory, taken some of our courses, attended in-person or online our talks or programmes, been a patron of our Carmelite Book Service, a reader of our Mount Carmel magazine, as someone with a spiritual link with the Priory, you are invited to join this special family.
By becoming a ‘Friend’, you will be supporting and sharing in the Priory’s spiritual mission of helping people from all walks of life to develop intimacy with God and to flourish in their spiritual lives.
Choose your Friends package
Basic Friends Package
- Be remembered in the daily prayers
and sacrifices of the Carmelite friars
- Share in the Mass offered monthly
for the intentions of Friends
- Receive a dedicated e-newsletter so you can be informed of the impact you are making on many lives, learn of all our new projects and the
happenings in the Carmelite family,
as well as updates on what other Friends have shared about their experiences on the spiritual journey.
- Receive a special invitation to a Friends’ Weekend. These special weekends in spring and autumn of each year. Friends will have the opportunity to stay at the Priory and enjoy its peace and beauty, socialise with the Priory community and team, as well as
with other friends over meals and drinks. There will be time for talks or workshops and, of course, time for silent prayer and reflection.
All in the Silver Package plus
- Have free access to many of our
videos and online resources
- Receive a token gift from the Priory from time to time in appreciation
for your friendship
- Free subscription to Mount Carmel
magazine (4 issues per year)
All in the Silver & Gold Packages plus
- Discounted ticket prices up to 50% to
our Conferences and Summits for you and a friend
- Free access to the WisdomLectures video library
- A free online retreat of choice each year
- Free access to monthly webinars
featuring Carmelites and guest speakers on topical issues in the spiritual life
- Free accommodation in the Priory for one Friends’ Weekend
Impact of Friends-in-Carmel
As a Friend-in-Carmel you increase the friendship circle of the Priory, share your time, talent, and treasure, and help the Priory to generate important extra income for the Priory which will enable us to secure our future and extend our work.
Your support matters:
Support the spiritual lives of many through our various initiatives.
Help to maintain and improve our Priory buildings, facilities, and grounds.
Provide bursaries for those who are unable to afford the full cost of programmes.
Inspire the younger generations to experience a deepen intimacy with God.
Empower people on the spiritual journey and offer them the tools to interpret their experience.
Promote and share with all the gift of prayer and the call of the interior life.